If your mind is too open, your brain will fall out. Warning: Names, identities, descriptions, and pictures have been changed and/or used to protect the innocent as well as the guilty. PollyPeoria should not be used or quoted as a source for your senior college thesis.

Wednesday, April 18

At Last, Election Results That Don't Make Me Want To Puke.

I didn't think it possible. I haven't been spouting off (much) about the elections because I had all but given up hope that registered voters would show up, use commonsense, and vote accordingly.

Peoria's libraries are pathetic. An embarrassment. Peoria claims that it wants to attract residents and businesses grounded in a knowledge economy. That is, our fair city is looking to attract intellectuals. More than free city wide wi-fi or a swank civic center with a five star hotel attached, or a silly Podunk museum housing some trophy from the 1974 boys high school debate championship, intellectuals value modern libraries with up to date facilities. Libraries are not frivolous aromatherapy outlets. They are valuable public institutions which strive to inform and educate the electorate. God bless voters for willing to invest their dime for something so worthwhile. My advice before building. Take a look at the Libraries in Evanston and Oak Park outside Chicago. A half hour in either building will convince the biggest skeptic how valuable an exceptional library can be to a community. I love hanging out at the Evanston's library whenever I happen to be in town. Each time I'm in town I'm amazed that one establishment consistently hosts all different types of people, from opposite socioeconomic spheres and age brackets, so well. Seniors reading the paper, high school students doing research, moms and babes in for story hour, yuppies on their lunch break reading the Wall Street Journal. It's a intellectual and productive community center. The main library in downtown Peoria is depressing as hell. You can get whatever you need, but it isn't much fun to hang out there. Lakeview Library has more of a community feel, but it is too small for the amount of people who use it. Resources are too few for the many that require them. Getting a computer at Lakeview is a challenge prefaced by a significant wait time. Kids can't enjoy a story hour without disturbing others who are working on the other side of the facility. It's time to pay and update. Libraries are one of the few things I'm willing to plunk down a few more tax dollars for.

Smoking is bad. We all know it. Your rights end where the other guy's begin. It is impossible to smoke in a public place and not jepordize someone else's health. Smoking is not a constitutionally protected act. Bar and restaurant owners don't refund money when a good meal or drink is ruined by a stinky cigarette. Moreover, the Health Department regulates and fines restaurants and bars for any violation which could jepordize the health of customers. Smoking certainly qualifies.

Gary Sandberg, George Jacob, and Eric Turner retained their seats on the City Council. Chuck Grayeb and -even better- JOHN MORRIS ARE GONE!!! GONE!!! GONE!!! Gale Thetford failed miserably at her attempt to replace him. Anyone think she took the hint thistime?

I was saddened to see Alicia Butler lose her seat on the School Board. I thought she had, for the most part, been an effective Board President. I didn't like the very stupid, very expensive, District 150 "apple" billboards purchased a few years back. I thought Butler did an admirable job at attempting to correct and involve the public after the initial Glen Oak Park School proposal/fiasco. The relevation that Butler apparently failed to earn the two diplomas she claimed dumbfounded me. I have had several conversations with Butler. I've listened to her at School Board meetings. Butler is very intelligent and could have earned two or more degrees from Bradley -or Harvard- for that matter.

Why she felt the need to lie -twice- is beyond me. I would have bought an "I thought I was a graduate" excuse if she had only lied about her undergraduate degree. My alma mater told me they would not provide me with a diploma unless and until I paid numerous parking tickets they claimed I had acquired. I was never blessed with a car during college (and I dispise you if you were) making parking tickets an impossibilty. I protested. They didn't care. I didn't pay and went to Europe instead of graduation. I framed my transcripts instead. A college degree isn't a requirement to serve on the School Board. Peorians respect commonsense and a tight wallet more than a piece of paper. Why would any Peorian lie about graduating from Bradley, twice?! That is, if you're gonna lie, make it a NON local school. Why not the Sorbonne? Cambridge? Oxford? London School of Economics? Hell, even U of I would have been a better choice. You know, a school whose Director of Alumni of Affairs and Registar don't live across the street. Do not say you graduated from a school where a third of the town was likely to have attended your supposed graduation. I was saddened by the voters decision to fire Butler, but I understand it.

On the whole it was a good night. I have hope. People who want what is best for their community and not just their names on as many plaques as possible before dying are running -and winning- for local government. Refreshing, eh?

No comments:

Blog Archive