If your mind is too open, your brain will fall out. Warning: Names, identities, descriptions, and pictures have been changed and/or used to protect the innocent as well as the guilty. PollyPeoria should not be used or quoted as a source for your senior college thesis.

Monday, February 26

The Power of the Post

Two big, fat, huge, bow-from-the-waist-all-the-way-to-the-toes hat tips to bloggers C.J. Summers The Peoria Chronicle and the "pseudo anonymous blogger" (I really don't know who you are btw) at Peoria Illinoisan.

This time around the issue d'jour for the At Large City Council elections is the "Kellar Rail or Trail?" controversy. Have no doubt, many running wouldn't have a clue about this issue were it not for C.J. harping and educating the community about the costs and detriments that could occur should a rail line become a bike path. Previously, Polly was all in favor of the bike path simply because I live close to the rail line and don't see trains use it very often. I drive over the train tracks on Knoxville close to Junction City every day. In the last five years, I think I've been held up by a train crossing the tracks there maybe twice. As luck would have it, one time I was on my way to Proctor Hospital for stitches, but that is another story. However, C.J.'s insightful and well researched posts on the topic have me thinking twice. I chuckled when I heard that the proposed trail could be used for cross country skiing. Sure, it could, but this winter so could most sidewalks and unplowed city streets. The cross country skiing suggestion warrants the most obvious of questions: How profitable could another trail be for the community when it is freezing cold in this town at least six months a year? We have the Rock Island bike trail, which I when weather allows I can personally testify, it is well used. However, how much money does it actually bring in? I like to bike the trail during the spring and summer months, but to be honest, I've never stopped anywhere to buy anything. There have been times when I have run out of water and would have liked to purchase another bottle, but there isn't any place to do so for most of my eleven mile ride. Kellar Trail proponents say this trail will be different, but other than Junction City, does any retail outlet currently exist?

Peoria Illinoisan gets a hefty salute for thinking out of the humble blogger box and asking City Council candidates to participate in his issues quiz. Damn. I wish I would have thought of that! PI's quiz was more insightful than anything I've seen in the PJ Star. Polly's advice of the day: Be wary of candidates who state, "That issue has been put to bed by the current City Council, Park Board, etc." in lieu of providing a real answer. As we've seen with Fire Station 11 and the Garbage Tax, hot button issues don't die. Rather, they continually resurface and bite us all in the collective ass/pocketbook.

C.J. and P.I., you inspire and motivate me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment. I like your new blog format, by the way- nice and clean.

pollypeoria said...

Thanks. The format change was a result of our long, grey, and painful winter. I was looking for something a little more up beat. Keep up the good work!

pollypeoria said...

You are welcome CJ. I've always been impressed with your well researched posts, even those I didn't agree with. I often refrain from arguing with you because I don't have the energy/chutzpah to find evidence to back me up, unlike you. Honestly, if my blog was as good as yours, I'd expect to get paid.

No, Billy hasn't reprimanded me for playing with my thingy. HA! Even Bill has to admit it has been a cold, lonely winter, and even a good Catholic girl can slip once in awhile. :-)

Blog Archive