If your mind is too open, your brain will fall out. Warning: Names, identities, descriptions, and pictures have been changed and/or used to protect the innocent as well as the guilty. PollyPeoria should not be used or quoted as a source for your senior college thesis.

Friday, June 16

Lying Liars and the suckers who give em money

I received an e-mail today that included the following:

"BTW, does it annoy anyone else how many restaurants, mainly the chains (Appleby’s, Chili’s) don’t include their alcoholic drink prices on their menu? I find that terribly insulting. They seem to want to intimidate or embarrass you against asking. And when you do ask how much the top shelf margarita is, the wait person often doesn’t know (or acts like they don’t know) and have to go ask. All part of the strategy to get you to order overpriced drinks."

I don't eat at Applebee's or Chili's or chain restaurants much, so I don't know if this is true. Can anyone else comment on this?

I don't know why exactly I avoid chains. It isn't snobbery or a personal policy. I'm a big fan of Krispy Kreme. Hey! Bill Spears! Any word on when they are going to resume construction on their Peoria store!? I like Lester's too. But watching the donuts being made is neat and yes, fine entertainment.

This drink scheme, if it is real, wouldn't surprise me. I have found that most big chain restaurants tend to be less clean, with longer waits, huge portions of food that really amount to nothing more than a hulking plate of salt and lard. Not that Polly is above a good dose of lard and salt, but I go to Hardee's for that if I'm in the mood for it.

Another scheme I've been subjected to -and would really like to know if anyone else has experienced this- is telemarketers who solicit for charities by saying,

"Ms. Peoria? Hello. I'm Golly Goody from Widows and Orphans of Whale Hunters of Alabama. I want to thank you so much for your generous support of our organization in the past. I see that you gave $40.00 last year during our annual begathon. Can we can count on you for another $40.00 this year?"

Essentially Ms Goody is implying that I've been a good soul in the past, they love me. I've supported them before, so how can I slam the door on them now? Here's the thing. I have never ever given to any of these charities. I know, because I never, ever pledge money over the phone. EVER. These charities are trying to raise money with an out and out bald faced LIE, which makes me wonder if these aren't just boiler room scam artists.

LATELY, IT SEEMS EVERY CHARITY TELEMARKETER SEEMS TO THINK I'VE GIVEN MONEY TO THEM IN THE PAST. Polly is good. Polly is kind. Polly is neither that good, kind, or rich.

Any one else out there experience any of the above? I say we start cracking down!

9 comments:

Mahkno said...

A lot of times the drink menus are kept separate because of the multitudes of local liquor regulations.

It is easier to print a menu for a given state or region en masse, but every town is going to have different liquor rules.

Chef Kevin said...

A couple of years ago I ordered a top shelf margarita at Chili's. I about choked on the remaining part of it when I saw the bill and it was $8.50.

But as much as it kills me to have to defend these people, I don't know too many places that list their prices for cocktails or the liquor that goes into them. I see beer and wine prices posted, but rarely do I see where a pour of Stolis is going to cost me $4.00.

As to your telemarketers. I just lie back. "Wow, I'm sorry, I just had surgery, am off work and have to conserve my funds".

Anonymous said...

Ask for their Tax ID number. They won't be able to hang up fast enough. Or, they're ledgit and have it. Then you can make up an excuse. (My dog ate my wallet)

I don't like chain restaurants either.

pollypeoria said...

Tax ID number is a good idea. What I want to know is if I'm just unlucky, or if the untruth, "thanks for giving to us in the past" know full well you never have given to said charity is now a common telemarketing scheme.

Ever notice that waitstaff rarely say how much that day's specials cost. This may be at more upscale restaurants perhaps - but typically waitstaff will read an amazing description of a dish and yet not give the price unless asked. Scheme or oversight? Chef Kev?

Chef Kevin said...

"but typically waitstaff will read an amazing description of a dish and yet not give the price unless asked. Scheme or oversight? Chef Kev?"

Chef Kev says: Something may sound truly amazing, but will you automatically not consider it due to the price? I personally think they should give you the price, but it should be like this: We have one special tonight for $17.99 and it is a blackened grouper served on a bed of red beans and rice with buttermilk sweet corn bread. Leaves you with the thought of the dish rather than the cost of it. In culinary school, we were taught a rule of thumb in creating specials was never to go under your lowest menu price and never go over the most expensive menu price item by more than 20%. This works both ways. If my top $ menu item is $20, I'm probably not going to serve a $40 double rack of lamb because my clientle probably can't\don't want to afford it and I don't want to get stuck with it.

But back to the question: Oversight or not. This could be a very long discussion so I'll keep it brief. As a former restaurant owner and now semi-frequent diner, I think they should inform you of the price. It eliminates all issues later at check time, if for no other reason. I think it is the proper thing to do. I can't see why any restaurant would want to start an issue with a customer for charging some wildly insane amount for a special without informing the consumer of the price. I can think of a long list of reasons why they may not. If the restaurant has decent reputation\standards\morales, if all of the entree prices are $12-20 one shouldn't and wouldn't expect to be charged $35.00 for the above mentioned special. It may be neglect, it may be a mindset of: there are 20 entrees on the menu, we have one special, there is a 1-21 chance the consumer will order it, I'll save my breathe and a little bit of time. Maybe they just assume that the customer will assume that the price will fall within the normal pricing for the restaurant especially if you throw in the aforementioned 20% clause.

On my third hand, when I go into a restaurant, especially for the first time, I briefly glance at the prices to see what price range I'm looking at and then see what sounds the best to me. I never have an issue of HMMM....should I have the pork chop for $16 or spend $2 more for the salmon at $18? It's what sounds good, not what is "cost good". If the waitperson comes up and says tonight's special is: Grilled Hawaiian Opah, black sticky rice, pina colada beurre blanc and stir fried snow peas, I'm having THAT! If the restaurant's top dollar menu item is $24, I'm going to assume I'm not going to get hit for more than $29, but will expect it to more than likely fall within the top 25% of the menu pricing. Or, I could just ask :)

pollypeoria said...

Yeah, but Chef, that's the whole point. When I go to a nice restaurant, I feel embarassed to ask. Any discussion of money seems tacky. If I were a man dating someone new, I would be very hesistant to ask the price for fear of looking like a cheap skate.

However, your percentage formula is useful- so when I too shy, embarassed, or just feeling classy (read: wearing control top pantyhose) I'll use that.

Chef Kevin said...

Not to start some huge controversy, but how many times do you go to a restaurant and blindy order a glass of wine, mixed drink, beer, etc., maybe even have a few and never inquire to its cost? Have you ever inquired about how much a bottle of Bud Lite is costing you?

I guess it doesn't bother me to ask if I really want to know.

pollypeoria said...

No worries. No controversy, just an honest discussion. I don't ask the price on soft drinks, beer, or mixed drinks (I rarely order mixed drinks). Usually wine prices are on the wine list by bottle and glass, if offered. From experience, I know what fairly well what a Bud Lite is going to cost me. If I got a $20.00 bill for a Bud Lite, I'd raise hell.

However, I have no idea what a fair market price is for "blackened grouper served on a bed of red beans and rice with buttermilk sweet corn bread." Which sounds really fabulous by the way.

I would have no price asking a price at a chain restaurant. I would someplace more upscale, like French Toast.

I feebly admit, I have not ordered the special because I didn't want to ask the price. Most recently at The Copperworks. I didn't want my invited guest to think I was pinching pennies or that money was tight. Which, frankly, wasn't the issue- it's more of a value thing.

My point: If I ask the price of something, that could be taken as hint to my guest that s/he should be frugal when ordering.

Also, it just seems TACKY to ask about prices at a fancier place, like, say, French Toast.

Chef Kevin said...

Ok. Side step the issue by picking out what you want. Then find the second or third most expensive thing on the menu. Say to your guest "What sounds good to you? I was really thinking of the (item you want) or (the second\third most expensive thing on the menu). By the way, did you happen to catch the price on the special?" Obviously, if you are considering the second or third most expensive item on the menu, you can't appear too cheap. And if your guests says "No, I didn't catch it, or they didn't say", it leads into a conversation like "do you think they do that on purpose? I've noticed it a lot lately." Heck, maybe then your guest will ask.

Blog Archive