If your mind is too open, your brain will fall out. Warning: Names, identities, descriptions, and pictures have been changed and/or used to protect the innocent as well as the guilty. PollyPeoria should not be used or quoted as a source for your senior college thesis.

Wednesday, July 20

This is a really bad sign...

*
You know your State's Attorney is a pansy when defense attorneys rally behind him. The PJ Star ran a front page article hailing Kevin Lyons as tough on solicitation and prostitution. The problem is that the very same lawyers Johns run to when they get arrested think Lyons is doing a bang up job. They like Lyons. They want to keep him around. Gosh. I wonder why. Could it be that their clients fare well under the current regime?

The article also states that the States Attorney's Office doesn't keep statistical data on the types of cases it prosecutes. REALLY? So, how do we know if you're doing your job at all?

Assistant State's Attorney Steve Pattelli estimates that their office charges 95% of those who are arrested for solicitation. That's a juicy number. I wonder why Journal Star reporter Andy Kravetz didn't file a Freedom of Information request and confirm it?

In the off chance a diligent reporter checks, and the numbers aren't near that grand, Lyons already has a backup excuse: It's the law's fault. Legislators believe that Johns are not as reprehensible as prostitutes and therefore the law treats them less harshly.

I don't care. Prosecute them anyway. Call their wives and employers. Post 'em on the web. Impound their cars. Here's a thought: Do what works. At the very least do something!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hate to be the appologist here polly, and by all means get fired up to heap some vitriol my way, but I doubt Kevin's office does keep stats, they didn't when I was there a decade or so ago. And those prosecutors who do keep stats are criticized for being more interested in pursuing numbers than in assuring justice, something we also say we want from our chief accuser. As for doing something, I am aware of no other county in Illinois, except Cook, that routinely prosecutes felony prostitution cases, many think thats too harsh, but it is a commitment to do something. Also, as the article noted, Kevin's office was the only in the state to pursue tougher penalties on Johns, another commitment to do something. Finally, your criticism of the defense attorneys is misplaced, in the article, at least one said he thought Kevin over charged (meaning too many) and to imply that they were lying is wrong. You have a right to your opinion, but I for one, take my reputation seriously, and would hate to have someone assume improper motives who I've never even met. BTW, by way of disclosure, I do represent States Attorneys as a lobbyist, but don't do ANY criminal defense aside from some VERY minor traffic cases. I could. I've prosecuted murder cases, but I don't really feel comfortable defending people, most of whom are guilty if charged.

Anonymous said...

Doggone it, leave ol' Kevin alone, willya, Polly? If he had done persecuted them cases likes ya wants him to, I woulda been doin' 10-20 five or six times, and I tends to drop the soap too often in the shower. Plus, my sister Trish woulda been in the girl's state house a few times, as well, and them womens there don't pay much for favors. Two or three Virginia Slims, tops.

pollypeoria said...

Matt, Honey, heap vitroil your way? Nah, for you I got nothing but love - even if you did help Jacob get hired. Besides, I can't get fired up, I'm too depressed that Ran$burg has crawled out of his hole. A defense attorney saying that he thinks Lyons prosecutes Johns too often (but still likes him) is akin to someone suing McDonalds for making them fat. Completely unbelieveable.

Hillbilly Joe, you sound a bit disturbed. Taking your meds?

Blog Archive