If your mind is too open, your brain will fall out. Warning: Names, identities, descriptions, and pictures have been changed and/or used to protect the innocent as well as the guilty. PollyPeoria should not be used or quoted as a source for your senior college thesis.

Thursday, January 26

Polly's e-mail of the week\Restaurant Reviews

I received this interesting e-mail from the Executive Vice President of Mercedes Restaurants:

Dear Polly:

I heard through a friend that you recently ate at Bud's and were dissatisfied with the cost of your meal. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you to find out what happened that evening. On just the information you wrote, I figure your bill should have been around $80.00.

Please call 676-6443 and leave me your phone number and a time it would be possible to call you.

Thanks,
Steve Shaw
Executive Vice President
Mercedes Restaurants, Inc.


Give the guy credit for customer service! I doubt there are many Executive Vice Presidents who would try to track down an allegedly unhappy customer in the bloggersphere! Mr. Shaw is referring to my January 9th post. I can't return your call and remain anonymous, Mr. Shaw, but I will republish my "review" of Bud's. Our bill may have been $80.00, but with tax and 20% tip we paid $90.00 (I checked the credit card statement) on the nose.

I wrote...

...A rather dull weekend. Just the way I like 'em. Slept in both days. Glorious. Never got around to doing laundry, cleaning my house, or disassembling the Christmas tree. Even better.

My Significant Other (S.O.) and I did get out last night. We had dinner at Bud's, coffee at Starbucks, and then saw Fun with Dick and Jane at the Rave. Dinner at Bud's was just okay. We had an appetizer of calamari, shared a porterhouse steak, and ordered a side of sauteed mushrooms. Our tab, with tax and tip came to $90.00. We had two beers as well, and our steak came with a house salad and some very good bread. Nonetheless, the decor, ambiance and quality of food doesn't come close to F. Scott's or some of the other numerous steakhouses in town. Some of them significantly less expensive. There was a decent crowd, but no where near what V.O.P.s used to draw in...


If it's any comfort Mr. Shaw, I didn't give high praise for the movie either.

There has been some chatter from readers about the new Mexican Restaurant on University, Vallarta's. (This blog attracts a lot of "Foodies" I tell you!) I ate there recently, quite tasty. Better than Jalapeno's or Fiesta Ranchero by far. Loved the shrimp burrito. If you want REAL Mexican cuisine you must venture to La Mexicana located on Jefferson and Mary. Not the best part of town, but not the worst either. Finally tried it after Bill Dennis wouldn't stop blogging about it. La Mexicana has AUTHENTIC Mexican food at dirt cheap prices. If they ever get wi-fi, I will probably live there. However, Vallarta's is more comfy and better for bigger groups. La Mexicana has about five tables.

After being pestered by co-workers for about a year, I finally ventured up to Seven on Prospect. I heard it was good but expensive. Polly is very cheap, spending money is painful. I agree with everyone. Seven on Prospect both good AND pricey. I loved everything I tried. I had the shrimp bisque, an amazing pasta dish which was called Pasta Gregiore (well, something "Greg" anyway). I've never had chicken so tender or tasty. Remembering marsala sauce and mushrooms in that dish are making my mouth water as I write this. Moreover, the pasta was aldente and not mushy! My Significant Other (S.O.) was good and had fish, salmon something. It looked amazing, but I didn't want to use up any stomach space for responsible, healthful fish when I could fill up on the Gregsomething Pasta. S.O. paid and would not share the total with me. Classy. However, S.O. did say that it was significantly less than Bud's. I'm guessing our two entrees were about $15.00 a piece, the bisque was $7.00, I had a Diet Coke, and S.O. had beer. We were served warm bread with butter and an olive spread. We were way too full dessert. I'm guestimating the total was around $50.00. An entire week's worth of groceries costs me the same, but I will be back nonetheless.

A tasty steak dinner for two, I can easily prepare at home for around $25.00. I wouldn't know where to start in order to prepare seafood bisque or Gregorysomething Chicken Pasta at any price.

7 comments:

JasonS said...

Even less at Mr. G's on Main Street.

And the soul is about the only part of me that they're good for...not that that stops me for eating them.

pollypeoria said...

Polly suffers from migraines. The chemicals (nitrates, perservatives) in hot dogs would cause a vessel to burst in my brain. There is no cheese in cheese sauce, but there is plastic. A little scary. I wouldn't call myself a picky eater, but I do try to eat fresh cuisuine. After you do without junk food for awhile fast food tastes pretty nasty. Although I still love french fries.

PeoriaIllinoisan said...

I also love Vallartas, but I wouldn't say it's MUCH better than Fiesta.

Sorry, no love for the Chicago Grill for me. I went there for lunch once for a double cheese burger. Got back to work, took a bite and got a bright-red uncooked burger smiling at me!

Tried going to 7 over the weekend, but they were booked up. Ended up at Red Zin instead. I hate to bash another local restaurant, but... My food was good; my wife thought hers was only so-so, and the service was completely half-ass for a "high-end" restaurant. We left bemoaning the fact that we didn't just go to F. Scott's instead of trying to do something different.

Laura Petelle said...

Yeah, I'm not nuts about Red Zin either. Food quality is uneven - I've had one great entree and one that I couldn't believe I was paying for - and the service is pretty half-assed. We've had a good time (and tasty wine and munchies) at the bar there when we've gone before or after the symphony, but for eating I'm not that big a fan, particularly for the price.

It's too bad, it's such a prime location with all those lawyers and accountants in the tower and the Civic Center right across the street! Hopefully they'll improve over time.

Anonymous said...

Agreed on Seven. We've been there 3 or four times and each time was great.

I can't bring myself to try Bud's because we love F. Scott's and I would be pissed if Bud's came up short.

Still haven't tried Red Zin and don't think we will. I've heard way too many spotty review on the place, even after all this time.

Have you been to French Toast? VERY pricey but truly "fine" dining. We go for a Christmas/New Years meal every year.

Anonymous said...

Also for mexican, try the new "La Famalia" on Wisconsin. I had a burrito there that was the best I've had in this town.

Anonymous said...

I've been to French Toast. It was excellent. I had to give blood and wash dishes to pay the check though. I save French Toast for my birthday when I know for sure someone else is willing to pick up the check.

It also peeved me that we were charged a five dollar corking fee for a bottle of wine we were encourage to buy at the overpriced liquor store attached to the restaurant, assumably owned by the same people. Rude and tacky. But that's French!

Blog Archive